Thursday, October 16, 2008

Conflict in Fiction

One of the elements of fiction that I've gained a new appreciation for due to both classroom lecture, and from reading the works of my peers, is the element of conflict. I had never really considered it as a necessary part of the plot of my writing before. I can spin a 10-page story that contains interesting character development, vivid descriptions of scenery and action, using creative language, and tell a tale about the experiences of the protagonist doing something really cool, but I'm finding that conflict really makes a big difference in reader interest. Why? It's human nature, I guess. But it's true. I am learning that I can take a perfectly serviceable story I wrote, which I had previously thought of as pretty good, and turn it into something really good, just by adding conflict.

Be it internal or external, conflict is a great way to build tension towards a climax. The greater the conflict, the greater the climax when it's finally resolved by the protagonist and it is this element that keeps the reader turning pages with interest. Why? Because they are identifying with the protagonist (hopefully) and putting themselves into the same situation, they know how they might handle the conflict presented, but they want to know how the protagonist will handle it.

The trick is finding new and interesting ways for your protagonist to deal with the conflict that your average reader might not have thought of. That's what keeps them interested. Who wants to read something predictable? And what makes it predictable is when they read your story and think to themselves, "Yep, that's what I thought they were going to do because that's what I would have done. Yawn."
But that challenge of creating something fresh and original is what makes writing fun and exciting. At least for me. I love trying new things. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not, but you won't know if you don't try.

1 comment:

  1. Good work and a real essayist's pace. I could have used a specific example or two....but well done. This was my response to the prompts blog too--which ones interested you and which did you try.... Most importantly: keep writing. AQ

    ReplyDelete