Thursday, October 9, 2008

Writing Prompts

In a way, I find the simple fact that there is a need for writing prompts kind of depressing. What happened to people that inspiration can no longer be found in everyday life? It is unfortunate, but I have to admit that I am as guilty as the next person. I find it difficult to just sit down and write. I usually need a focus, a prescribed muse.

As such, I found many of the writing prompts on Big Window and Amy's Alias extremely helpful and inspiring. Both blogs are full of ideas I would have never thought of on my own, yet once I read about them, I really wanted to try them.

Although it still bothers me that writing prompts are even needed, I figure that need is simply a product of modern social isolationism, and though we may no longer enjoy the bountiful fruit of varied interpersonal conversation in our everyday lives as occurred before the dominance of the internet, we can never go back to the way things were, but must press ever onward. Therefore, we of the writer's ilk must adapt and suckle inspiration wherever we may, or perish.

No comments:

Post a Comment